ESP32 Micropython build errors... LOTS

I just flashed the resulting firmware on my M5Stack and played a bit with it. It seems to work. Now, if I could just change the version string from 1.9.4-xxx to 1.12-yyy. I think one has to toy around with git tags…

Glad that worked for you !!!
That fix was applied to the master micropython branch.
it appears no maintenance is being performed.
lv_micropython has not appeared to be updated since 1-17-2020 !
I also get on boot…
a) flash read err, 100
b) Chip revision…
c) incorrect version 1.9.4 (1.12 is used)
Do not get the issues with pure micropython builds.

I currently also have have other problems.

Support is almost nonexistent as stated at the beginning of this thread…

Without a huge following, fixes are going to be non-existent unless one is very familiar with the code.
Me personally I might have to look for a commercial package as my project is not for fun.
Good luck.

I also exierience issues b ad c. My boot sequence is not showing issue a.

For issue b : I do not think it is a real problem. It basically tells you that the firmware can run on a revision 0 chip and since yours is revision 1, well it will run. If it bothers you, add the line

CONFIG_ESP32_REV_MIN_1=y

in, say, ports/esp32/boards/sdkconfig.base. Personnaly, I would create a “personal” board that would be derived from TINYPICO.

For issue c, I think one simply has to change the git tag. I’ll have to check things out.

I guess my question is why do binary’s from micropython, not exhibit these outputs?
My project is using an ESP32 Wrover now, things could change later.

The answer is simple : different esp-idf version. In an older version one had the warning you see. In newer versions, the warning becomes an info:

I (xxxx) This chip is revision 1 but project was configured for minimum revision 0. Suggest setting project minimum revision to 1 if safe to do so.

And this info is only shown if the log verbosity is sufficient. One can set it using esp.osdebug:

import esp
esp.osdebug("*", esp.LOG_INFO)

osdebug's first argument is ignored unless it is None, in which case the verbosity is set to LOG_ERROR

No, but in most cases, we can semi-automatically update lv_micropython by running a single command.

As @amirgon mentioned…

The last major release of Micropython was in December 2019. As such, the latest merge with MicroPython occured on Jan 17th.

If you’d like to update lv_micropython manually, you should be able to clone it and then run the following commands:

git remote add micropython https://github.com/micropython/micropython.git
git fetch micropython
git merge micropython/master

It’s quite possible you’ll have to resolve some merge conflicts but that will give you all of the latest changes in Micropython.

1 Like

GETTING ERROR…
rich@RG-x360:/mnt/c/tpi-dev/lvgl/lv_micropython$ git merge micropython/master

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
git config --global user.name “Your Name”

to set your account’s default identity.
Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

Follow it’s instructions. This must be the first time you’ve tried to commit on this machine.

got it…
on to next learning class

now what…
what does it want?

You need to open these files (VSCode is a good editor to use for this) and resolve the merge conflicts. Essentially, git couldn’t figure out how to apply some of the new changes on top of the underlying code.

Once you’re done that, you can run git status on the command line. It will list the “unmerged paths”; you should add these to the commit with git add <file paths>. Then you can run git commit to actually do the merge.

If you’d prefer, I can do this for you and leave the result on a branch of lv_micropython.

I really appreciate your help !!!
You’ve probably read my RANTS and now you know why.
Before I waste too much of your valuable time I should learn how to fix these errors on my own.

I am using VSC…
What am I resolving exactly??

Here’s a good tutorial:

https://help.github.com/en/github/collaborating-with-issues-and-pull-requests/resolving-a-merge-conflict-using-the-command-line

Got this far…

I try to …
git add lib/lv_bindings
but does not take

It looks like you merged it successfully. See if you can compile MicroPython; sometimes git complains about lib/lv_bindings but the build works without problems. If it doesn’t work I can give you the steps to fix lib/lv_bindings.

MAKE STOPPED HERE… any ideas

CC ../../lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/modlvindev.c
In file included from ../../lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/../include/common.h:4,
                 from ../../lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/modlvindev.c:5:
../../lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/modlvindev.c: In function 'indev_read':
../../lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/modlvindev.c:131:40: error: passing argument 2 of 'mp_obj_new_exception_msg' from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]        
                 &mp_type_RuntimeError, "indev instance needs to be created before callback is called!"));
                                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../../py/obj.h:275:35: note: in definition of macro 'MP_OBJ_TO_PTR'
 #define MP_OBJ_TO_PTR(o) ((void *)o)
                                   ^
../../lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/modlvindev.c:129:37: note: in expansion of macro 'nlr_raise'
     if (!self || (!self->callback)) nlr_raise(
                                     ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from ../../lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/../include/common.h:4,
                 from ../../lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/modlvindev.c:5:
../../py/obj.h:734:86: note: expected 'mp_rom_error_text_t' {aka 'struct <anonymous> *'} but argument is of type 'char *'
 mp_obj_t mp_obj_new_exception_msg(const mp_obj_type_t *exc_type, mp_rom_error_text_t msg);
                                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
../../py/mkrules.mk:64: recipe for target 'build-GENERIC_SPIRAM/lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/modlvindev.o' failed
make: *** [build-GENERIC_SPIRAM/lib/lv_bindings/driver/generic/modlvindev.o] Error 1
make: Leaving directory '/mnt/c/tpi-dev/lvgl/lv_micropython/ports/esp32'
(bld-lvgl) rich@RG-x360:/mnt/c/tpi-dev/lvgl/lv_micropython$ 

Try running git submodule update --recursive in the base lv_micropython directory. Then run the build again.

Unfortunately… same error as above

What is modlvindev.c code for ???

As far as I know, it’s the glue code that lets you register an input device using MicroPython.

Unfortunately I’m not very familiar with the MicroPython internals so I think @amirgon will have to help you here.

Anyone ???