Visual Studio PC simulator

I tried to build the PC simulator with VS 2019. Just got a bunch of build errors.

Please describe exactly what failed. “A bunch of build errors” is not enough information for us to diagnose the issue.

I downloaded the project in a zip file when I tried to build it the first time. I think I will try cloning everything and try to build it again. I’ll let you know what happens. If it fails to build, I’ll post a detailed reason why.

Rings a bell…my first attempt was to build from the zip and it was an unmitigated disaster. A few weeks later I cloned it instead and it worked first time (or, at least, only minor, easily-sorted issues).

You cannot properly download repositories with submodules as a ZIP from GitHub. I have no idea why, but their zipping system refuses to include the submodules as well. That’s why it doesn’t work from a ZIP file.

Yes, it had lots of empty folders, and downloading the contents separately didn’t sort it - probably different versions or something.

Had similar experiences with other github projects that have interested me.

I’ve now learnt to clone every time :slight_smile:

Well I am happy to report that I was able to build the Visual Studio PC Simulator project after cloning it. Worked like a charm. I am also happy to report that I got the demo working on a ESP32 Dev 1 board connected to a ILI9341 TFT display. Very cool.

2 Likes