LVGL with platformio lv_conf.h not found

Description

I’m attempting to run LVGL on the ESP32 using PlatformIO. It seems like menuconfig is not finding the kconfig file and therefore an lv_conf.h file is not created. At least thats my understanding of how its supposed to work.

What MCU/Processor/Board and compiler are you using?

ESP32-WROOM-32D with an SSD1306 compiled with PlatformIO/CMake

What do you want to achieve?

I would like to get past the compilation errors saying that lv_conf.h can’t be found. This definitely seems related to the kconfig files not being detected by menuconfig.

What have you tried so far?

I would like to include the libraries for lvgl and lvgl_esp32_drivers using lib_deps but I also tested bringing them in as a submodule. Both methods failed with the same errors.

Code to reproduce

Add the relevant code snippets here.
In platformio.ini

lib_deps = 
	lvgl/lvgl @ ^7.10.0
	lvgl_esp32_drivers=https://github.com/lvgl/lvgl_esp32_drivers.git#6b08c3fcce0e12b44a171ef88059b52efc0269ad

The errors:

Compiling .pio/build/alphaCaseDebug/lib446/lvgl/lv_core/lv_group.o
In file included from .pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/../lv_hal/../lv_misc/lv_color.h:16,
                 from .pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/../lv_hal/lv_hal_disp.h:21,
                 from .pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/../lv_hal/lv_hal.h:16,
                 from .pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/lv_disp.h:16,
                 from .pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/lv_disp.c:9:
.pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/../lv_hal/../lv_misc/../lv_conf_internal.h:46:14: fatal error: ../../lv_conf.h: No such file or directory
 #    include "../../lv_conf.h"                 /*Else assume lv_conf.h is next to the lvgl folder */
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
Compiling .pio/build/alphaCaseDebug/lib446/lvgl/lv_core/lv_indev.o
In file included from .pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/lv_obj.h:16,
                 from .pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/lv_group.h:17,
                 from .pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/lv_group.c:9:
.pio/libdeps/alphaCaseDebug/lvgl/src/lv_core/../lv_conf_internal.h:46:14: fatal error: ../../lv_conf.h: No such file or directory
 #    include "../../lv_conf.h"                 /*Else assume lv_conf.h is next to the lvgl folder */
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

And it goes on beyond that but you get the idea… Can’t find lv_conf.h

You need to add an lv_conf.h in your src directory.

Brilliant!! Why didn’t I think of creating the file that it said is missing? Now… what actually goes in lv_conf.h??

The instructions for lvgl mention copying from inside lvgl folder to parent folder and enabling by changing a zero to a one. You can also stick it elsewhere with correct defines/build flags.
https://docs.lvgl.io/master/get-started/quick-overview.html#add-lvgl-into-your-project