Cyrillic support

Description

What is the easiest way to ad Cyrillic support for my display? Do I have to use the font converter to add the characters? I didn’t find any similar post with the search engine, nor in the documentation.

What MCU/Processor/Board and compiler are you using?

nRF52840

What do you want to achieve?

I have a running project that received data over BLE and displays it. When I send Cyrillic characters I get nothing on the display.

What have you tried so far?

Only the build in fonts

Code to reproduce

n/a

Screenshot and/or video

n/a

You need to reconvert a font and include Cyrillic character ranges. We don’t include many international characters by default because they’d make the font quite large.

1. I generated LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28 with the full range of symbols (0x00 to 0xFF)
  2. Added LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28.c in lv_font directory
  3. Added #define LV_FONT_CUSTOM_DECLARE LV_FONT_DECLARE(LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28) in lv_conf.h
  4. Modified the default font with #define LV_THEME_DEFAULT_FONT_NORMAL &LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28
  5. Added the .c file into the project (I use Segger Embedded Studio).

When I compile the project I get the following errors:

1> C:/Program Files/SEGGER/SEGGER Embedded Studio for ARM 4.42/gcc/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: Output/ble_app_uart_freertos_pca10056_s140 Release/Obj/lv_obj.o: in function `lv_init':
1> C:\work\my\nordic\nRF5_SDK_17.0.0_9d13099\external\lvgl-7.1.0\src\lv_core/lv_obj.c:181: undefined reference to `LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28'
1> C:/Program Files/SEGGER/SEGGER Embedded Studio for ARM 4.42/gcc/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: Output/ble_app_uart_freertos_pca10056_s140 Release/Obj/lv_draw_label.o: in function `lv_draw_label_dsc_init':
1> C:\work\my\nordic\nRF5_SDK_17.0.0_9d13099\external\lvgl-7.1.0\src\lv_draw/lv_draw_label.c:103: undefined reference to `LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28'
1> C:/Program Files/SEGGER/SEGGER Embedded Studio for ARM 4.42/gcc/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: Output/ble_app_uart_freertos_pca10056_s140 Release/Obj/lv_draw_rect.o: in function `lv_draw_rect_dsc_init':
1> C:\work\my\nordic\nRF5_SDK_17.0.0_9d13099\external\lvgl-7.1.0\src\lv_draw/lv_draw_rect.c:82: undefined reference to `LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28'
Build failed

What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Check the generated C file for an #ifdef guard - I think there is another define you need to add to make it include the font.

This is how the generated file starts:

#include "../../lvgl.h"

/*******************************************************************************
 * Size: 28 px
 * Bpp: 4
 * Opts: 
 ******************************************************************************/

#ifndef LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28
#define LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28 1
#endif

#if LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28

So it’s enables, wright?

I’m suspicious that the capital name you put on the font…

Modified the default font with #define LV_THEME_DEFAULT_FONT_NORMAL &LV_FONT_MONTSERRAT_CYRILLIC_28

is causing issues.

I’d suggest that you generate it with a lowercase name (the converter will still generate the macros in uppercase) and see if that fixes the problem.

actually the file name is with lower cases. I changed the following line to lower cases and the code compiles:

#define LV_FONT_CUSTOM_DECLARE LV_FONT_DECLARE(lv_font_montserrat_cyrillic_28)

Thank you for your tips :slight_smile:

Good evening!
I’m trying to embed the Russian language in the esp32, but I can generate a font with Russian and English. Can you send your font lv_font_montserrat_cyrillic_28 ?
alansbor @ yandex dot ru