Before I get into a soldering nightmare

Hi,

I am on the way to solder the connections from my TTGO T-Energy (ESP32) board to this kind of display:
https://www.banggood.com/2_8-Inch-ILI9341-240x320-SPI-TFT-LCD-Display-Touch-Panel-SPI-Serial-Port-Module-p-1206782.html

The has an ILI9341 display and a XPT2046 touch controller.

One kind find wiring diagrams for this display online.
Can I use one of these or do I need to use a certain kind of wiring when using micropython/lvgl with
this board?
(just to avoid additional soldering hassle… :slight_smile:

Cheers!
mcc

Why don’t you try a prototype on a breadboard first, before soldering?
Your display looks breadboard friendly.

Because I don’t want to solder a pinheader onto my board (its a hell to unsolder those) and the other reason
is, that I may fry one of the gpios.
I prefer to avoid problems beforehand instead of get around them in some way by trying without knowing.

Ok.
I believe you can use this board but you need to select the pins carefully, depending on your needs.
The ili9341 and xpt2046 drivers allow you to configure whichever pins to use, but in ESP32 there are pins which are GPI (so you can’t use them as outputs) and other pins with special functionalities so you probably need to plan ahead how to allocate pins to different component on your circuit.

Personally I always try to check things out on a breadboard before soldering.

Hi,

my “soldering” is only a “flying wiring” (sorry…directly translated into English from german “fliegende Verdrahtung”…hopefully it makes any sense nonetheless…:slight_smile: too. This whole stunt relates to my wish to
avoid soldering a pinheader onto the board. My breadboard has to be my soldering iron in this case…but
the soldering is temporarily as it is on a breadboard…so no real physical change here…
My greates “”“fear”"" was, to fry a GPIO and make a GPxx out of it.
Previously I found a site, which explains all pins to avoid (or to use) on a ESP32, and which GPIOs are GPIs or GPOs instead :wink: .
Good to know, that the drivers don’t rely on a certain pin configuration…!!!

Cheers! … and thanks for your help, amirgon! :slight_smile:
mcc