Version lifecycle and LTS versions

Hello.

Does LVGL have plans to create LTS (long-term support) versions in the future?

At Muxi we are planning to use LVGL for the GUI of our new applications,
but as the applications grows, it can be difficult to port the application to the new LVGL version, if there are big API changes.

For example, if a v8 is released breaking compatibility with v7, can we make sure the new
bug fixes and security updates on the lastest version be applied on v7 too? For how many time?

We support all major versions for 1 year. It’s still quite a new concept and I’m open to improve it based on the users’ requirements.

How long support would be needed for you?

Thanks for the answer,

I read the documentation, but somehow I skipped the line about the version support.

How long support would be needed for you?

I don’t have an exact answer, but our application will possibly need to be maintained for several years, maybe a decade.

I created a small LVGL app for testing purposes and it took me a big effort to convert the styles from v6 to v7. Then I was worried about the risk of fast compatibility changes on new versions.

I know this is a hard problem with big trade-offs. Since LVGL become more mature, with more people using, we expect to see less major releases, with fewer structural changes.

I hope so :slight_smile: Now we are in the “ramping” phase and we get a lot of feedback and consider how to make things simpler and versatile. Probably things will stabilize in the near future.

I don’t have an exact answer, but our application will possibly need to be maintained for several years, maybe a decade.

When the official support period is over you can still ask for paid support in our Services.