Style - What is the 'sb' property referring to?

A define is probably better (since it doesn’t generate any additional runtime code). But yes, this seems like a plausible solution to me.

1 Like

I’m planning to add these changes to dev-7.0. So we can rename them.

Adding defines for all lv_ta_*, and lv_cb_* would be ugly IMO and ultimately the purpose of major releases to update the API.

I’m thinking about the workload of updating (even with sed or another find-and-replace tool) all of the examples to use the new abbreviations and I’m not sure if it’s worth it. Plus, API evolution is good, but it’s easier for people to upgrade when the API isn’t changed very much (I think there are still people using 5.3 because of the extensive changes in 6.0).

Maybe asking users for their opinion on the topic is a good idea (considering that these names have been around since the initial commit).

But, as always, it’s your decision. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I do agree with @embeddedt. The defines could be easily places in a single file called something like compatibilityMapping.h ?

1 Like

And what should we do with the new function coming in v8.0. E.g. lv_textarea_set_something should be also added to compatibilityMapping.h as lv_ta_set_something?

What about having support v6.0 in v7.0 as much as possible but drop it in v8.0?

I like tihs idea!

I’ve just added lv_api_map.h to dev-7.0.

1 Like

I suggest make that decision when you start work on V8.0. If it’s easy to maintain then maybe keep it. But if it’s hard then just have a v7 to v8 map.h.

Okay, we will see when we are there. :slight_smile:

Im late to the party, but the 6 year old in me wants a change from btn to butt

1 Like

Perhaps but is better. :wink:

Sounds like an interesting idea. :smiley: